What is a EA?
EAs are experts in home energy efficiency and Building Science. They’re Registered by Natural Resources Canada to deliver the EnerGuide Rating System for new homes and existing homes (they may be licensed for both programs). They are trained to use NRCAN’s (Natural Resources Canada) energy simulation software hot2000 and to perform blower door air leakage testing.
Registered Energy Advisors use their expertise in combination with energy modelling software to help home owners, and building professionals make informed decisions while choosing energy upgrades before building a new house or starting extensive renovations on an existing home.
There are two types of Energy Advisors:
- New Home EA – Only active EAs trained and certified in accordance with NRCan’s EnerGuide Rating System V15 rules and regulations that submit files through a Licensed Service Organization can perform new home energy evaluations.
- Existing Home EA – Only active EAs trained and certified in accordance with NRCan’s rules and regulations that submit files through a Licensed Service Organization can perform existing home energy evaluations.
All EAs must pass a minimum of two proctored exams, administered by NRCan, and undergo a rigorous training and mentoring before being able to submit house files and preform on site evaluations.
Who are EAs ?
Most EAs are independent contractors, but all operate through a licensed Service Organization, who are responsible for quality control and oversight of the EA. Homeowners rarely connect directly with the service organization, unless there is an issue with the EAs work. Working with a EA is the required pathway to getting an EnerGuide rating label for your home.
- Former contractors
- Home Inspectors
- Building Science experts
Energy Advisor skills
- Energy Modelling specialists
- Energy Design
- Blower door air tightness testing
- On site insulation, mechanical, window&door verification
- Thermal imaging
- Building Code consultants
Home labeling programs
For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org